Saturday, June 05, 2010

Out of the Silent Planet

This book is the first in C. S. Lewis' Space Trilogy, consisting of the books Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, and That Hideous Strength.  It is the story of Dr. Ransom, a professor, who is out in the English countryside on a "walking tour" during his vacation.  Through a series of events, he ends up at a house called "The Rise" for the night, one of the occupants being an acquaintance of his.  Little did Ransom know that this night would change his whole life!  Although I can hardly write a proper review of the book without telling more, I would hate to give away what happens to him.  Of course it has something to do with space travel, and Lewis manages to make it very deep and very intriguing at the same time.  So, I would encourage you to read Out of the Silent Planet.  I enjoyed it immensely, and I am very eager to continue reading the trilogy!

1 comment:

StarBittrune said...

Hey, Emily! Mrs. Bittner and I are currently reading this book together (second time for her, third time for me). Unfortunately, we only get to do so when we're on a road trip and we're not playing "Go Fish" CDs with the boys, so it's taking us a while. But we'd love to hear more of what you thought of it, and the next two books, which I'm looking forward to re-reading myself.